Tuesday, July 25, 2017

30-Day Sobriety Solution Journal: Day 5

30-Day Sobriety Solution: Day 5
I am relieved to see that Day 5 is not so intensive. Perhaps that is on purpose so we don't give up doing this! Ahh, and then, I am supposed to believe in myself... it is the Believe In Yourself Solution today.

So I review the list of famous teetotalers. I'll be honest, I don't even know who a lot of them are. And can we be honest. The people who just always never drank, or never had a craving to drink, they don't give me any sort of solace. I'm sure I'm not alone here. I mean good for them, but they never wanted to drink anyway. Who cares!

And I have not used the word "can’t" today, so I haven't had a chance to replace it with a positive “can” statement. I'll keep my eye out for it though!

Now let's think of a time I have used confirmation bias with my drinking. I have often thought, "I don't drink every day, so clearly I don't have a problem. I can stop whenever I feel like it." Except it got to a point where I never felt like it. "Lots of people drink more than me, and they are fine." Not sure how I know for a fact that those other people are fine. "I still have a job and my home, so it's okay." Clearly I am ignoring the fact that there is such a thing as a functional alcoholic. "Alcohol is the only thing that helps me sleep, and if you don't get enough sleep, it can be really bad for your health and disrupt your life." Boy is that a stupid one!

And wow, that is all the action work for today! On a side note, I finished listening to Sarah Hepola's memoir "Blackout" yesterday. I highly recommend it. She is a great writer, and her story is compelling. I have now started listening to "The Power of Habit." Although not directly related to problem drinking or addiction, so far, it is fascinating to learn how habit works. I'll let you know what I think when I am done!

Until tomorrow...
Aspiring Reformed Party Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment