Friday, August 18, 2017

30-Day Sobriety Solution Journal: Day 26

30 Day Sobriety Solution: Day 26 - The Positive Addiction Solution
Very nice to see another more fun action step for the day. Interesting that I was just thinking of things I wanted to do earlier today on my walk. The trouble is sometimes I "get in over my head" involving myself in too many things all at once and get overwhelmed. There are a lot of things I want to try or do, but I will have to make sure to space it out, yet make sure that I'm not doing any of them at all! So on to develop that Positive Addiction solution...

Action Step #1: Start exercising:
Once again, I am ahead of the game! Woo hoo! It is going on my 7th week of walking at least 6 days a week at least 3 miles, save maybe a few days I did 2.5 miles. I want to start varying what I am doing because when it starts getting darker and colder, I won't be as motivated to get outside. I used to go to this dance class that I really liked, and I just haven't gone back, so I think it's about time I add that in.

Action Step #2.a.: Review the 101 new activities list and write down all (and any others) that interest me:
This one also ties in with a concept from the Naturally Slim program (that I talked about yesterday) as well. One of the principles states that we have to get our vital needs met or we will turn to food, or in many people's cases, alcohol as well. We chose 7 from a list that are important to us. Mine are personal time, sleep, time alone, financial security, learning something new, having a project, and humor. I can definitely make sure some of these are met by participating in many of these activities. Here's what I would like to try:
  • Practice smiling.
  • Learn how to read music again.
  • Learn how to play the piano again.
  • Learn how to play the guitar.
  • Take dance classes.
  • Research places to travel.
  • Watch funny videos, standup, movies, on YouTube, Netflix, etc.
  • Take a class online or locally or both.
  • Explore more area parks.
  • Become active in Dining for Women again, or even start your own chapter.
  • Find other groups to be a part of.
  • Maybe take a yoga class. I keep saying I a can't stand it, but I've barely tried, and everyone talks about how good it is for mind-body connection and recovery.
  • Spend more time with inspiring and positive friends.
  • Continue redecorating my home.
  • Actually go to some meetups besides just the one you have gone to.
  • Do a random act of kindness without expecting a thank you or recognition.
  • Take an improve class. Maybe. It kind of scares the crap out of me, but people always say I should do it cause "you're so funny!"
  • Create a collage of Natasha, my cat that pass away last year. I've been meaning to do that.
  • Go to musicals and/or operas.
  • Go to museums, art galleries, the zoo, or the botanical gardens.
  • Plan and go on a weekend road trip.
  • Attend a Falcons game.
  • Join or start a book club.
  • Reach out to a friend from my past to reconnect... not sure who though.
  • Find free speaking events in my area.
  • Join Toastmasters. Again, it scares me, but maybe it would be challenging.
  • Take singing lessons again.
  • Join the Sweet Adelaides chorus.
  • Attend a recovery program meeting. Not sure I really want to. But I've thought about it sometimes.
  • Take a cooking class.
  • Finally finish (or really start!) my vision board.
  • Go to a comedy club.
  • Do artistic things: Do your painting project. Try to do acrylic pouring. Maybe take an art class. Do more adult coloring books.
  • Randomly stop what I'm doing and do 10 jumping jacks, pushups, situps, planks, etc.
  • Take tennis lessons to see if you might like it.
  • Consider joining a kickball league. But maybe not. I'm not certain I am actually good at that.
  • Get involved with a non-profit. 
  • Sign up for a seminar or conference.
  • Try knitting again.
  • Take a self defense class.
  • Take a tai chi class.
  • Consider taking tennis lessons.
  • Sell some stuff to start one of these things that cost money!
  • Hire a life coach or career coach.
  • Figure out what your passion is.
  • Figure out what job you really want.
  • Try a new aerobics class or get a new aerobics DVD.
  • Try photography again.
  • Learn how to make a font.
  • Make jewelry, like that fused glass stuff.
  • Get your Master's degree. Maybe.
  • Take a friend out to dinner.
  • Brainstorm other sobriety rewards for future goals.
  • Sign up for 5K's again.
  • Clean your car. PLEASE CLEAN YOUR CAR! LOL
  • Write a thank you letter to someone who has had a positive impact on your life.
  • Buy new clothes.
  • Learn to speak Spanish. And I want to learn Italian too. I should really relearn French too since I already did that in high school. Maybe that's all too much. LOL
  • Write down what you would tell a tourist to see here and do it yourself.
  • Learn to play chess.
  • Play on your Wii again!
  • Go to the lake. You have never been to the lake in the over 17 years you have lived here!
  • Do karaoke again.
  • Try to be an extra in the movies filmed here.
  • Audition for a musical.
And here's what I have already started doing:
  • Walk outside.
  • Listening to audiobooks when I walk.
  • Listen to audiobooks and or read memoirs of people in recovery.
  • Listen to audiobooks and or read memoirs of funny people (comedians, etc).
  • Started a blog on a topic I am interested in. (This one.)
  • I will be pampering myself at a spa as a reward when I am 60 days sober on August 25th!
  • I have been checking out Groupon, ScoutMob, and Goldstar for things to do! (I just need to actually do more of them!)
  • I allow myself to be silly. That is no problem!
  • I just took a friend out to coffee that I haven't seen in a long time.

Action Step #2.b.: Pick one activity and do something right now to get started:
So I actually went and looked for spa services I could chose from on Groupon for my 60 days reward. I also looked up Laughter Yoga (mentioned in the book). Not sure about that. And I started a Pinterest board of "Things To Do."

Action Step #2.c: Make a recurring appointment to remind me to add new activities to my life:
I set up a reminder in my google calendar once a month to come look at this post and take some action on some new activities.

Action Step #3: Listen to the "Rediscovering Your Joy" guided meditation on the companion site:
100% honesty here. I didn't do it. Today has entirely gotten away from me. It's about to be 3:00 am, and I need to go to bed! I promise to do it on the Review Day Solution, which should be coming up soon, right?

ON A SIDE NOTE... I just had a breakdown because I thought I had completely deleted this entire entry after working on it for over an hour and it being so late! I am tired, and at first couldn't figure out what I had done. I was so far from discovering any joy at that point! My poor brain needs some serious down time after that freak out!

Action Step #4: Set relaxation and entertainment goals:
When I am consciously setting goals or deciding whether or not to do something, I will ask myself "what is the outcome I want from this activity?" Whatever it is, as long as it is positive, gives me that internal permission to go for it!


Until tomorrow (AND GOOD NIGHT!)...
Aspiring Reformed Party Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment