Wednesday, August 16, 2017

30-Day Sobriety Solution Journal: Day 25

30 Day Sobriety Solution: Day 25 - The Mind and Body Solution
Well, I am ahead of the game on today's Mind and Body solution! My company and my health insurance have partnered to pay for a program called Naturally Slim for those that qualify, which I did. The program started on May 1st, so I had already started on changing my eating habits well before I decided to quit drinking. Yes, I was even losing weight when I was drinking excessively, and surprisingly my weight loss slowed down when I stopped drinking. I was a bit disappointed, but I suppose I ended up replacing alcohol with more food. I am still losing weight though, and I am down 35 lbs! I'll elaborate more on the program as I work thorough the action steps.

Action Step #1: Drink lots of water:
Yay! I have already been doing this! I actually drink "orange water." Seven parts water to one part orange juice not-from-concentrate. The goal is 60 fl oz a day, which is a bit less than suggested in the book for my current weight, especially if I calculate in exercise. I do drink sparkling water in the evenings in addition, but I haven't kept track of how much extra that is, so I will try to aim for 80 fl oz a day.

Action Step #2: Keep a food journal:
Yay! I have already been doing this too! This is part of the Naturally Slim program for the very same reasons... awareness. And if things aren't going well, you can go back and take a look at what you have been eating. I use the Naturally Slim app for the program, but in the past I have used MyFitnessPal which is free!

Action Step #3: Make small changes to your diet:
Well, I have made lots of changes due to Naturally Slim already. One of the principles is to try to avoid sugar. I had actually cut out sugar easily in the beginning. Here and there I would have cravings. Even when I stopped drinking. But then I decided that one of my rewards for staying sober would be a special dessert once a week. I now find I am craving sugar more! It's crazy! I am still following the principles of the Naturally Slim program, so that is is what I will continue to do.


Strangely, after losing 35 pounds and being over 50 days sober, I have recently been dealing with new issues... an unexplained allergic reaction, acne, and digestive programs. Everything I read keeps saying how when you quit drinking your skin, digestion... everything heath-wise!... gets better as early as a few weeks! Well, not for me. At least not yet. I know logically I am actually healthier, but it's been frustrating. One thing I realized is that I felt like crap a lot when I was drinking excessively, but almost always chalked it up to that. Now that I'm not drinking, I am paying attention, perhaps I'm even being a bit hypersensitive to my body, and asking what is causing these things now that I'm not drinking? Maybe it's just a lot of changes for my body over the last few months, and it is still adjusting. I'm not saying that going back to excessive drinking is the answer. I just think that every body reacts differently. So, if you're not feeling 100% amazing by day 25, don't feel alone. I do feel better (with 50 days in a row without a hangover alone!), but I am not yet feeling this 100% amazing in the health department like I read I should be, and I'm trying not to let that get me down. It will come with time.


Until tomorrow...
Aspiring Reformed Party Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment